Senior Product Design – J1196LA
Job Reference: J1196LA
Job Location: near Chichester
Job Type: Permanent
Our client is a world class, leading design and manufacturing company specialising in blind manufacture. They are seeking a Senior Product Designer to join their team near Chichester.
Reporting to: Head of Design
Purpose of Position
To create, design and draw up components for new products and improvements to existing products or components, whilst developing CAD systems to maximise the efficiency of the design process for custom sized blind solutions.
To create sales support drawings for a wide range of internationally based customers using our client’s custom products in specific applications
Duties and Responsibilities
- Produce 3d models and detail design drawings of products to meet customer requirements working within our client’s product design constraints.
- Development of new product designs to meet design brief within performance, cost and timing targets
- Development and implementation of CAD structure and working methods
- Ensure drawings are correctly issued, labeled, saved electronically and detailed to relevant applicable engineering standards.
- Guide and assist in planning and implementation of document management and workflow processes for DDM system
- Data cleanse and/or upgrade current and legacy designs where required
- Develop methods used for CAD drawings and manufacturing processes
- Lead development of configurable (parametric) models to enable quick provision of product files for incorporation in customers CAD designs
- Assist in development and sourcing of prototypes and prototype materials to prove product designs.
- Refinement and productionisation of designs (Design For Manufacture) to ensure appropriate and cost effective tooling and assembly process using supplier and in house knowledge base.
- Support problem solving and continuous improvement of existing product and manufacture.
- Work to guidelines given as required for product designs meeting recognised standards where applicable.
- Create support information with drawings, sketches as required for Handbook requirements.
- Provide support and guidance to other designers, engineers, project managers and sales team. Act as Mentor to Design Team.
- Feasibilty and planning for transfer of design process from 2d (AutoCAD) to 3d SolidWorks
- Undertake other duties as may be requested from time to time
- Ensure all Health, Safety and Environmental procedures are followed at all times and that employees are encouraged to take responsibility for their own health and safety and that of others.
- Computer literate with proven and competent use of 3D CAD (SolidWorks essential), 2D (AutoCAD), for the creation of designs, drawings and assemblies, and set up of CAD system as required by the duties listed above.
- HNC/HND engineering qualification or minimum of 5 years experience in an engineering design/development role.
- Sound engineering understanding and experience in the design of injection moulded components, aluminium extruded sections, small turned components and sheet formed parts.
- Competent in the design of mechanisms, assemblies and geometric tolerancing
- Experience in PDM / DDM systems and workflow processes an advantage
- Ability to research and implement new technologies, products and processes
- Familiarity with standard manufacturing details required for the various production processes and knowledge of suitable materials.
- Good team player, with good communication skills – able to discuss and understand product design requirements and details at all levels.
- Flexible, proactive, positive and self-motivated.
- Travel to other locations and vary working hours as required to support our client’s business
Please submit your up to date CV, along with your cover letter and salary expectations when applying for this position.
The RSE Group aim to respond to all applications personally. However due to the high number of applications we receive, we regret this is not always possible. Therefore, if you have not heard from us within 14 days of your application, please be advised that you have not been successful in this instance.
Click the link below for an application form. Please forward with your up to date CV – ideally in Word format.Application Form in Word format